Oakland Tech’s baseball home, Rickey Henderson Field, represents the heart of Bulldog Baseball. Designed, funded, built, and maintained primarily through volunteers and private donations, Rickey Henderson Field has become the crown jewel of Oakland high school baseball facilities. Each year, the Oakland Tech baseball players are taught how to prepare and maintain the field before, during, and after practices and games. Everyone associated with the Tech Baseball program takes a great deal of pride in this field, and many more facility improvements are forthcoming.
What you may not know is that we receive no help from the city or the district in maintaining Rickey Henderson Field. It is only through your volunteer support and hard work that the Oakland Tech Bulldogs have this wonderful facility.
Parents of Tech Varsity and JV baseball players are needed to pitch in to keep these facilities in top shape, and to help make coming to an Oakland Tech baseball game as enjoyable as possible for everyone.
Please use the schedule below to sign up for at least 3 hours of work during the course of the season. Refer to the “Upcoming Schedule” to the left for specific game dates and times.
- Removing and storing tarps
- Mow grass
- Drag and water infield
- Rake mound and plate area
- General cleanup of field, stands, batting cage area
- Arrive 1 hour prior to game time.
- Setup near the entrance gate.
- Retrieve coolers, grills, table from containers and storage areas.
- Stock drinks (ice), chips, candy, health bars.
- Arrange for donations (water, Gatorade, brownies, cookies, etc).
- Arrange for stock of hot dogs, ketchup, mustard, buns, napkins, etc.
- Cleanup after game, and put excess stock and equipment in safe places.
- Rake and/or screen Home plate, the Mound, sliding areas @ 1B, 2B, 3B.
- Remove and plug the bases.
- Screen the whole infield skin area. Use the small screen along the edges with the infield and outfield grass.
- Water Home (batter’s/catcher’s boxes), the Mound, sliding areas, and lightly along the base paths and around the infield edges.
- Bring out the Home and Mound covers and the boards to hold them down. After the Home and Mound watering has had 10-15 minutes to soak in, carefully cover these areas and place the boards. Please avoid walking across the batter’s/catcher’s boxes, or the Mound, when placing the covers (these areas will be soft and muddy).
- Tidy all the tools, hose-reel, bases, etc into the storage areas, and lock the gates.
- Tidy the tractor, mowers, and other major equipment into the containers and lock them.
- Lock all the various gates, port-o-potty, and entry/exit areas.