CSSC Minutes, 2008, 12/1
OAKLAND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
December 1, 2008, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Oakland Tech Library
Regular Monthly Meeting
Rollie Katz, Chair
(By-laws require 9 for quorum)
[ ] Joanna Berg (1st year)
[√] Rollie Katz (2nd year)
[√] Jodi Murphy (2nd year)
[√] Phyllis Hall (alt., 2nd year)
[ ] Parent (alt.) (vacant)
[√] Lesley Johnson-Gelb (1st year)
[√] Erick Friely (1st year)
[√] Molly Katz (1st year)
[√] Devon King (1st year)
[ ] Leslie Luo (1st year)
[√] Alexandra Grant (1st year alt.)
[ ] Le Tran (1st year alt.)
[√] Sheilagh Andujar
[√] James Beckett (2nd year)
[√] Keith Debro (1st year)
[√] Richard Fairly (2nd year)
[ ] Emmanuel Onyeador (2ndyear)
[√] Maryann Wolfe (2nd year)
[ ] Ashlee Sherman (alt., 2nd year)
[ ] Harry Pasternak (alt., 1st year)
Other School Staff
[√] Lamar Hancock (1st year)
[√] Joshua Fuchs (2nd year)
[√] Kanika Ajanaku (alt., 1st year)
[√] Nina Jacobs (alt., 1st year)
Other: Christine Dargahi (Assistant Principal); Nicholas Henderson (parent, DAC representative)
COLLABORATIVE SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
1. Call to Order, Welcome, Roll Call, Introductions
Meeting called to order at 6:05 p.m. by Jodi Murphy and was chaired by Rollie Katz when he arrived. A quorum was established. All present introduced themselves.
2. Reading and approval of minutes (Murphy, Fairly)
· The minutes of the November 3, 2008, meeting of the CSSC were read and approved, as amended.
· Item 1, the meeting was called to order at 6:05 p.m.
· Item 4 (SPSA), bullet 5 was incomplete. The phrase “spend this year” is added.
Motion to approve the minutes, as amended; second; carried.
3. Information and RSVP for 3rd Annual SPSA Summit, January 10, 2009 (Andujar)
· Sheilagh introduced the SPSA Summit and encouraged CSSC members to attend. Members agreed to look over the information and call Sheilagh and Elaine Tan to make reservations.
Members can attend the Summit will make reservations no later than December 19.
4. Proposed Action Plan to address areas for growth revealed in Focus on Learning self-study (Fairly)
· Richard summarized the process by which staff and parents developed and prioritized the goals that are in the proposed Action Plan.
· The CSSC members reviewed and clarified the Action Plan, providing suggested modifications and insightful comments.
· Sheilagh is gathering data regarding the effectiveness of having designated 9th grade and 10th grade counselors. The data may indicate that the current model is effective, but if not, then another model might be considered. A model that assigns a student to a particular counselor for the four years was discussed.
· Community service is a desirable goal for every student.
· The school newspaper is being supported by SFSU, CIIJ, UC Berkeley, and the Globe.
Richard will bring suggestions to the Leadership Team and modify the Action Plan accordingly.
5. Discuss, modify, and approve the Single Plan for Student Achievement (Site Plan) for 2008-2009 (Andujar, )
· Christine presented the Safety Plan and summarized the contents of the document. This plan is available in Christine’s office. The Safety Plan addresses disaster emergencies, and it will address lock-downs.
· Sheilagh recommended two modifications to the SPSA:
· Transfer $19,710.00 from the unused HPSG balance for teacher salaries to provide Gibson & Associates as a consultant to provide coaching and evaluation support for the HPSG plan.
· Transfer $800.00 from the Title I Parent Education budget for supplies to provide refreshments for parent education meetings.
· Jodi moved to approve the Safety Plan; second; carried.
· Leslie moved to approve transfer of $800 of Title I Parent Education funds from supplies to refreshments; second; carried.
· Jodi moved to approve transfer of $19,710.00 of HPSG funds from unused teacher salaries to consultants to provide coaching and evaluation support for the school’s HPSG plan; second; carried.
Rollie will sign the Safety Plan, and Christine will submit it to the Office of Risk Management. Richard will incorporate the Safety Plan into the SPSA document.
Rollie will initial the modified SPSA. Richard will file the modified SPSA with the Office of State/Federal Compliance.
6. Public Comment
· No public comment was offered.
· Jodi led several parent tours over the past weeks and saw a significant number of students with hoods, earbuds, and phones in the hallways. Sheilagh clarified that iPods are allowed during passing period and hoods are up to the teacher in the classroom, but any sign that students are disengaged in the classroom is not okay. It is an improvement that will require support from everyone in order to achieve it.
· Phyllis announced that on December 17, AASAP parents will coordinate a Tech Parent Observation Day, 8:00 – 1:00. Parents sit in on their students’ classes for 15 minutes, then meet in Family Resource Center to share comments or concerns. Faculty and Sheilagh requested that the teachers who will be visited will have two weeks advance notice.
· Molly announced that the Performing Arts Showcase has been moved to January 29 & 30. The teacher is concerned that profanity is part of the Showcase as it has been planned. This needs to be presented to the Faculty Council because there is an existing rule that there will be no profanity in assemblies. There is a Music Showcase on December 18.
8. Next Meeting Date
· The next CSSC meeting will be held on Monday, January 5, 2009, at 6:00 p.m. in the Oakland Tech Library.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Leslie moved to adjourn; second; carried.
|Print This Page||46 views|