Oakland Technical High School in the 1910s
- Oakland Technical High School opens, January 4, 1915
- A dozen Model Offices were installed at Tech, including banks, real estate, insurance and stock brokerages. Each will be equipped with adding machines, cash register and filing systems.
- The play “The Knighting of Don Quixote at the Wayside Inn” was performed entirely in Spanish.
- Tech received three new Pianos for use in the music department.
- Tech's Enrollment of 2,200 students makes it the third largest high school in the country.
- Moving Pictures were shown for the first time at Oakland Tech. Admission was 10 cents and all proceeds went to the Belgium Relief Fund.
- The Vulcan Club, an organization composed of shop boys and devoted to the study of the iron industry, was formed.
- During the Influenza Epidemic, Tech teachers volunteered their time and cared for stricken victims at the Civic Auditorium which was turned into a hospital.
- The Board of Education gave its permission for a trench to be constructed at the rear of the athletic fields so instruction in trench warfare could be given.
- The Red Cross work done by Oakland Tech’s sewing classes was deemed the best of any school. The classes sewed everything from surgical masks to baby caps.
- The Tech Radio Club, which was founded in 1914 but was disbanded during the Great War because it was against government regulations for unlicensed operators to practice telegraphy, was re-established in August.
- A bank, a branch of the Farmers’ and Merchants’ Bank, was established at Oakland Tech to encourage habits of thriftiness and business.
- Janice Clark, a Scribe staffer, secured Interviews with the King and Queen of Belgium and also had a conversation with Herbert Hoover.