Reporting an Absence During Distance Learning
When students are reported absent during distance learning activities, parents and guardians must report the absence to the attendance office by emailing both attendance specialists to clear your child’s all day or single period absence. Provide the date or period the student missed school, and the reason for the absence.
Email both attendance office staff at Griselda.Jimenez@ousd.org and Nicole.Smith@ousd.org. Call hours are 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please clear your child’s attendance within the first five days of receiving an absence call.
In the case you feel your child has been marked absent in error, email the teacher directly to discuss the matter. The teacher may than submit an attendance correction form authorizing that change.
Unexcused absences impact academic grades. Teachers do not have to give students with unexcused absences classwork from the days missed — this includes missed quizzes and exams. Put simply, teachers can only teach students who attend. They cannot teach those who do not.
6 or more unexcused absences in a marking period in one class means students:
- Miss more than 20% of that class
- Receive grades of F or “Incomplete”
- “Incomplete” grades change to F’s after 10 school days
- Should attend Friday Night School to make up the class time they missed and to earn a grade other than F or “Incomplete” (details below)
- Who fail to clear an “Incomplete” will likely not be able to participate in extracurricular activities
Accruing a high number of tardies ensures students receive a “U” (unsatisfactory) in citizenship.
Students who receive two U’s in citizenship will not be allowed to participate in school-sponsored events. Student-athletes who earn two “Unsatisfactory” (2-U’s) will be benched in their team sport and students who attend events such as dances are subject to removal and may not be able to get a refund.
Each tardy has the following impact on student citizenship grades:
- 0-2 Tardies = Outstanding
- 3-4 Tardies = Satisfactory (at most)
- 5-7 Tardies = Needs Improvement (at most)
- 8 or More Tardies = Unsatisfactory (akin to an “F”)
How to Clear the Effect of Tardies & and Excuse Unexcused Absences
Unexcused absences can be excused and the effects of tardies can be cleared with teachers and administrators if students adhere to the following steps and procedures:
- Students may clear the effects of tardies on the grade directly with teachers by performing detention or community services within the classroom where the offenses occurred. The effect of each tardy can be cleared with 15 minutes of detention or service. Please note, this is entirely up to the teacher’s discretion.
- Students may clear tardies with the administration
- Attend Friday Night School (details below). Attending Friday Night School “clears” 4 tardies per hour served. This means that the U citizenship grade can be improved even though the Tardy will still remain on the attendance record. 16 tardies are the most that can be “cleared” during one session of Friday Night School.
- Students may “clear” unexcused absences by attending Friday Night School. This means that the absence will still appear on the attendance record, but it will be marked as excused.
Friday Night School, Explained
Friday Night School takes place on the 4th, 5th, and 6th Fridays of each marking period, since grades are impacted by attendance/performance. Friday Night School is from 3:40 to 5:00 PM in the Tech library. Check the calendar for dates.
- Students who arrive more than 20 minutes late will not be admitted. Every minute a student is late (up to 20) will be added to the end of the session.
- Tech is NOT responsible for transportation, so students must secure their own transportation to/from school.
- Administrators will provide a list of students attendees to the Attendance Office and staff after each session.
If students are going to miss five or more consecutive days, they and their parents/guardians must fill out and submit an Independent Studies contract. The school needs ten days before the first day of an absence to process the packet, communicate with teachers and collect the work. Independent Study packets are available in the Counseling office.
Permission to Leave Campus
If students must leave campus during the school day due to an urgent doctor’s appointment or a parent request, please do one of the following:
- Students should turn in a note to the Attendance Office in the morning in order to get his/her “Permit to Leave” slip and have a smooth and timely exit process.
- Parent/guardian contacts or comes into the Attendance Office and requests the student’s dismissal. Be aware that this may delay the timeliness in getting the student released from class.