Reporting an Absence
Parents and guardians must report an absence in one of the following ways:
- Call the Main Campus Attendance Office at (510) 450-5400 between 7:30 AM and 4 PM
- For FADA students, please call the Upper Campus Office at (510) 654-7116
- Email attendance office staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verify the absence in person by going directly to the Attendance Office
- Have the student bring note to the Attendance Office upon return to school. The note must contain the following:
- Student name
- The day(s) and date(s) of the absence(s)
- The reason for the absence
- Parent or guardian signature, and
- Parent or guardian home, work and/or cell phone numbers
Returning to School
Following an excused absence, students must to go to the Attendance Office to pick up an Absence Report. The student then brings the Absence Report to each class and has the teacher sign off on it. The student is responsible for asking teachers about missed work.
Unexcused absences impact academic grades. Teachers do not have to give students with unexcused absences classwork from the days missed — this includes missed quizzes and exams. Put simply, teachers can only teach students who attend. They cannot teach those who do not.
6 or more unexcused absences in a marking period in one class means students:
- Miss more than 20% of that class
- Receive grades of F or “Incomplete”
- “Incomplete” grades change to F’s after 10 school days
- Should attend Friday Night School to make up the class time they missed and to earn a grade other than F or “Incomplete” (details below)
- Who fail to clear an “Incomplete” will likely not be able to participate in extracurricular activities
Accruing a high number of tardies ensures students receive a “U” (unsatisfactory) in citizenship.
Students who receive two U’s in citizenship will not be allowed to participate in school-sponsored events. Student-athletes who earn two “Unsatisfactory” (2-U’s) will be benched in their team sport and students who attend events such as dances are subject to removal and may not be able to get a refund.
Each tardy has the following impact on student citizenship grades:
- 0-2 Tardies = Outstanding
- 3-4 Tardies = Satisfactory (at most)
- 5-7 Tardies = Needs Improvement (at most)
- 8 or More Tardies = Unsatisfactory (akin to an “F”)
How to Clear the Effect of Tardies & and Excuse Unexcused Absences
Unexcused absences can be excused and the effects of tardies can be cleared with teachers and administrators if students adhere to the following steps and procedures:
- Students may clear the effects of tardies on the grade directly with teachers by performing detention or community services within the classroom where the offenses occurred. The effect of each tardy can be cleared with 15 minutes of detention or service. Please note, this is entirely up to the teacher’s discretion.
- Students may clear tardies with the administration
- Attend Friday Night School (details below). Attending Friday Night School “clears” 4 tardies per hour served. This means that the U citizenship grade can be improved even though the Tardy will still remain on the attendance record. 16 tardies are the most that can be “cleared” during one session of Friday Night School.
- Students may “clear” unexcused absences by attending Friday Night School. This means that the absence will still appear on the attendance record, but it will be marked as excused.
Friday Night School, Explained
Friday Night School takes place on the 4th, 5th, and 6th Fridays of each marking period, since grades are impacted by attendance/performance. Friday Night School is from 3:40 to 5:00 PM in the Tech library. Check the calendar for dates.
- Students who arrive more than 20 minutes late will not be admitted. Every minute a student is late (up to 20) will be added to the end of the session.
- Tech is NOT responsible for transportation, so students must secure their own transportation to/from school.
- Administrators will provide a list of students attendees to the Attendance Office and staff after each session.
If students are going to miss five or more consecutive days, they and their parents/guardians must fill out and submit an Independent Studies contract. The school needs ten days before the first day of an absence to process the packet, communicate with teachers and collect the work. Independent Study packets are available in the Counseling office.
Permission to Leave Campus
If students must leave campus during the school day due to an urgent doctor’s appointment or a parent request, please do one of the following:
- Students should turn in a note to the Attendance Office in the morning in order to get his/her “Permit to Leave” slip and have a smooth and timely exit process.
- Parent/guardian contacts or comes into the Attendance Office and requests the student’s dismissal. Be aware that this may delay the timeliness in getting the student released from class.
7,584 total views, 7 views today